Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Birthday Season

April is birthday season around here. Between March 30 and May 2, we have nine family birthdays to celebrate, including my daughter and my husband. Three friends have April birthdays, too.
We have no excuses for forgetting a birthday this time of year!

Here is a piece of my daughter's birthday cake:



This is Holy Cow Cake from The Cake Mix Doctor. (Recipe online here) We'd never had Holy Cow Cake before, but when my daughter saw the list of ingredients, no other cake would do. Devils Food cake, soaked in a mixture of condensed milk and caramel sauce, sprinkled with crushed Heath Bars, spread with a frosting of cream cheese whipped with Cool Whip, and topped with even more crushed Heath Bars. Holy Cow indeed! Since my husband's birthday is only five days after my daughter's, he no longer gets a cake of his own. We refrigerated the Holy Cow leftovers and had them yesterday for his birthday. The cake got a little bit too soggy over five days, but that didn't stop me from eating it!

I bake from scratch almost exclusively, but for some reason birthday cakes I make from a mix. Using recipes from The Cake Mix Doctor makes me feel like I'm making a little bit more effort.

Happy Birthday to the spring birthdays. This post is for you. May all your wishes come true!

6 comments:

Michele T. said...

Welcome to the blogging world! The cake looks yummy! I made A. his bday cake from the Cake Mix Doctor book last Friday. I made a pretty plain one, a devil's food mayonnaise cake (Midnight Cake I think it was called) with vanilla buttercream frosting. It was very good (I had one small piece the first night and managed to not eat any more of it). I also like to bake from scratch but bake very few cakes and the success is variable. Those cake mixes (especially the doctored up ones ) are pretty consistently good.

Lynn said...

I always remember that we were in Texas when S was born! That was the last time we were there.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy,

I have bookmarked your blog and will lurk here occasionally.

Pat

Anonymous said...

Wow, I want some of that cake!!! Johnna

Anonymous said...

W-O-W! i'm speechless... to say the least! love ya sissy!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blog! Thanks for sharing your warm, creative, delightful world with us.

I think I'll have to borrow the birthday flags idea. We've been experimenting with non-crepe-paper ways to decorate —- old-fashioned paper chains, bright curly yarn —- this will be a new, fun one that my daughter will enjoy making.

Tina