Friday, May 16, 2008

Dandelions and Toadstools

We are not lawn freaks. Our yard is a patchwork of grass, small areas of bare dirt, and lots and lots of dandelions. It was this way when we bought the house, and we are not inclined to fight it too much. We definitely don't use chemicals. Regular mowing in the spring beheads the dandelions, so we can keep things looking fairly kempt and green. Our yard doesn't look bad from across the street! Of course, we have to use a power mower for the beheading to work. My husband's mowing preference is to use our antique push-reel mower, but that only knocks the dandelions flat. They spring right back up again, completely undaunted, so he reluctantly uses a power mower most of the time.

Here is our antique mower:

I believe it is dated 1929. I wanted to get a nice photo of it amidst our dandelions, but it's way back in the corner of the garage, hemmed in by bikes and scooters and too many other things to move out of the way just for a photo shoot.

I made this little dandelion doll for my husband a few years ago, using a kit I bought through Magic Cabin Dolls. He appreciated the joke! My doll-making skills are hit-and-miss, but I had good luck with this one.



Here is my less-than-lucky attempt at making a toadstool, following Lucykate's tutorial:
She set up a toadstool swap, and I was sorely tempted to join, but after my practice toadstool I chickened out. I have some ideas for how to improve my next toadstool, and if I get a chance to try again, I'll be sure to share results. (I do like the fabric I used for the stem with this one! It makes me smile just to look at it.)

3 comments:

Tricia said...

has the blade on that antique mower been sharpened in this millenium? that might help - but yeah, in general, it's hard to whack down the dandelions once they've seeded. we have to put up with ours! (we only have a reel mower)

Lynn said...

I remember when we saw a reel mower on the side of the road with a "free" sign. D was in the car and we HAD to go back and get it. Oh, to be a teenager... He and his brother were so excited to try it out. They did a small portion of the yard. Our current idea is to have less yard. We have given over two large areas beside the barn to more garden. This year is will all be pumpkins. Keep us in mind in the fall.

besomom said...

Tricia, yes, it's been sharpened. Doesn't make much difference!

Lynn, now that I think more about this, I think YOU are the one who found the mower for us at a yard sale! Have D&M abandoned the idea of a reel mower? I think it would take weeks to get everything you have to mow with a push reel mower.