Friday, May 9, 2008

Imagination

I was going through old photos yesterday to find pictures for a "memories of elementary school" slide show for my son when I found this picture. I had forgotten all about this stage in my daughter's life! When she was a toddler/preschooler, she liked to rummage through the linen closet. She helped herself to cotton balls and q-tips, and we would find them in the strangest places, such as inside our shoes, or tucked into rolls of toilet paper. One day I found her in the bathroom with a wet washcloth pressed to her face. When I asked what she was doing, she cheerfully replied "Oh, just washing my beard!" Later I found the sopping wet washcloth tossed on top of the clean washcloths in the closet.

When she discovered my quilting and embroidery hoops, she used them to create self portraits on my bedroom floor. I'd let them lie there for days because I couldn't bear to dismantle them. Whenever I did clean up, she'd soon find everything and make a new one. It was a game for her, a little joke, because she'd wait for me to find them, and then she'd laugh and laugh.

She's still pretty creative, and she still likes to pull little jokes on me, but she no longer makes self-portraits with my hoops. I miss that.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

My daughter does this too. She makes "guys."