Saturday, June 14, 2008

Flag Day

Today is Flag Day in the United States. On June 14, 1777, the Continental Congress passed an act to establish a flag for our country, and specified that it should have 13 stripes, alternating red and white, with a union of a blue background and white stars.

I have always liked the U.S. flag. I like the boldness of the color combination and the crispness of the contrasting lines.

I found a pattern for a flag pillow in Vanessa-Ann's Holidays in Cross Stitch, 1994, and I couldn't rest until I stitched it. The pattern suggested stitching on 7 count evenweave to make a couch pillow, but I wanted to make something smaller. I stitched on 18 count and made a little pillow that came out approximately 4.5 inches by 3 inches.

While I was stitching my small flag, I ran out of the red floss, so I went to the fabric store to pick up more. The store just happened to be offering a class on making a small quilted flag. I couldn't resist that either. I had quilting experience, and could have done this without the class, but at the time I had a 3 year old and a one year old, neither of whom napped, so I signed up for the class just to buy the time to make the quilt!

This quilt is 17 inches by 12 inches.

I hang both my flags by my fireplace in the summertime.

I stitched these flags in July 2001.



No comments: