Thursday, June 19, 2008

Simple Summer Supper

Feta Pasta I went to a cooking demonstration for easy suppers many years ago, and came home with one of my all-time favorite recipes.

8 oz feta, crumbled
8 oz tomato sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 T fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried)
1 T fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
1 T fresh dill (or 1 tsp dried)

Combine sauce ingredients in a large bowl. The sauce can be made one day ahead and kept in the refrigerator.

Cook 1 lb of pasta per package directions. (I prefer Barilla Plus Penne, but any brand or shape will do.) Drain pasta, do not rinse, toss immediately with the sauce, and serve.

I grow sweet basil, dill, and parsely in my garden just because of this dish. When I cut the basil leaves the aroma is so strong and enticing that I am tempted to lean down and take a bite right off the plant! I'll bet that wouldn't taste as good as it smells, though, so I refrain.

I learned a good trick for cutting basil at the cooking class. Rinse the leaves and stack them.

Roll the leaves together in one "log" to cut in strips.
Here is the sauce before it is stirred. I like how fresh it looks.
I make it with dried herbs in the winter, and it's still good, but it's so much better in the summer.

The original recipe called for shrimp and green onion, neither of which I like, so I omit those. If that sounds good to anyone else and you want to know how much of those to add, let me know and I'll look it up for you.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I think I'll be trying this!

Tricia said...

I learned that basil cutting trick from a Diane Mott Davidson mystery! (Her detective is a caterer - Goldie [something]) I think it's called a chiffonade, but might be wrong on that point...