Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Dollhouse Book

I discovered this book several years ago and fell in love with it. This is the kind of book I would have pored over as a child, even though the story is rather thin. A peg doll named Peggy is homeless, and as cold weather sets in, she sets out to find a place to live. She is turned away from several occupied homes before she finds an unoccupied (but furnished!) cottage to make her own. I worry that the cottage must belong to someone else, and that Peggy will eventually get kicked out, but the story ends before that happens, so maybe Peggy really does get to live in the cottage all comfy and cozy, happily ever after.

The illustrations are what draw me into this book:


especially the fold-out cut-away views of the interiors of the doll houses. When I was little I loved to draw cut-away views of houses with fully furnished rooms. I liked to imagine tidy attics with sloped ceilings and braided rugs on the floor.
The attention to detail gives this book its charm.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

That reminds me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. As an adult it bothers me that she knocks and when no one answers she walks in. I never thought about that part when I was little. It seemed normal. Weird.

jonskifarms said...

Hey, I think we have that book! I probably got it at After Words (RIP). Needless to say, it hasn't gained much traction in my House of Boys, but perhaps I should read it to the youngest and see what he thinks.

On what kids think when they read books: we read a picture book about a homebirth before the youngest was born. Afterwards, the eldest got sort of contemplative and said "They went to sleep without putting out the fire. That's not safe!" Nothing about the new baby or the birth or any of that stuff, he was just worried about the fire hazard! (and no, he had not yet attended Safety Town :^)