Tuesday, August 26, 2008

That's Scarry

I love children's literature, and Richard Scarry is one of my favorite creators of the genre. Both of my children adored his books when they were preschoolers. My son's particular favorite was What Do People Do All Day?, while my daughter loved looking for Goldbug in Cars and Trucks and Things That Go.

When we were in Montreal, we saw a lot of Smart Cars



which set the theme song of The Busy World of Richard Scarry TV show running through my head every time I spotted one.

Last night I was reading a children's book blog, which pointed me to this photo set on Flickr, comparing the 1963 edition of Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever to the 1991 edition. Take a look! Some of the changes are very interesting. We have a 1970 printing of the 1963 edition, so ours has the original artwork and wording. I remember slightly editing the At the Airport page when I read it to my children. I thought "pretty stewardess" and "handsome pilot" were just a little bit too old-fashioned! In general, though, I prefer the earliest editions of Scarry's works to the later editions and newer books that seem like they were not drawn or written by him at all.

If you are a fan of vintage children's books, be sure to check out the give-away on my friend's blog, The Little Red Hen. If you leave a comment on her 250th post, Celebration Giveaway, by this Sunday, you will be eligible to win a set of her handmade greeting cards. Lynn's work is impeccable, and her blog is a treat, too. You can't go wrong trying her recipes! I made her blueberry gingerbread recently, and my whole family loved it.

No comments: