Friday, August 1, 2008

Visting the Family

The kids and I are back from visiting my parents and the rest of my family. The kids love to go every summer, especially because this is what is in my parents' backyard: My parents still live in the house I grew up in. They put the pool in when I was 7, so it was a huge part of my childhood summers. I love seeing my own kids swim and play in it now.
My kids get along at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Not so much bickering and arguing. They play together. It's nice.
They also get to see all their cousins. The pool can be quite a lively place on a hot summer day!
That's my oldest nephew diving in. To me, the word "nephew" conjures up the image of an 8-year-old kid, not this 18-year-old college-bound guy who jumped out of an airplane last Saturday, and who seems to be reenacting his free fall here. How did he get so old? How did I?
Grandma and Grandpa have a nice, large backyard. We had fun making extra large bubbles, and s'mores, of course, which are a necessity every evening we are there.
My mom's yard is full of fun things. She has some 70s throw-back kitsch items:
and lovely flowers everywhere.


Another sign that I must be aging is this tree. This maple was planted, barely bigger than a whip, when I was a kid. When I see trees like this, I think "Wow, that tree must be old!" Ahem.
My mom loves to landscape:
We also got to go visit my niece's duck, Henry, who turned out to be a Henrietta. She is learning to fly!
All the kids seem to be learning to fly these days. I am so glad we spent some time together.


No comments: