Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Watermelon Mint Cooler


We are watermelon fans in this house, and a good watermelon doesn't last long around here. Every once in a while we get a dud watermelon that borders on tasteless, though, and those will often go to waste. We had one of those watermelons this week, which coincided nicely with my attempts to reorganize (yet again!) my recipe collection. As I sorted through the binder, I found a recipe for a watermelon drink I'd clipped some time ago, so we gave it a try. It's very refreshing! I don't think I'd waste a perfect watermelon on it, but it will be a great use for those not-so-tasty watermelons.
Watermelon Mint Cooler
4 cups cubed seedless watermelon
1 1/2 T fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 T lime juice
Ice
Club Soda
Puree the watermelon, mint, sugar, and lime juice in a blender until the watermelon has all been turned into liquid.
Fill glasses with ice, fill halfway with watermelon puree, and finish filling with club soda. Makes 4 servings.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

a year or two ago I started encountering all these mentions of watermelon-feta salad (some with mint, some with basil). I eventually decided to give it a try, and was surprised at how well it worked. I've seen it on a few salad bars in the past couple of months, so I guess it's reached mainstream status. But anyway, next time you want to do a little experimenting with some watermelon, try that! And I'll try your cooler.

besomom said...

I've seen those watermelon/feta/basil salad recipes, too, and might even have clipped one. Not that I can find the recipe, mind you, as my reorganization of my recipe binder is still underway. I'd like to make it sometime. You cannot go wrong if feta cheese is involved!