Monday, October 13, 2008

Pumpkins

(Apologies for the spacing in the recipe. I don't know why blogger does this to me! I tried to space it to be more user-friendly, but I'm not getting much cooperation.)

Our attempt to grow pumpkins this year failed miserably. The vine developed plenty of promising flowers (and, in fact, the vine is still flowering!), but no pumpkins ever formed. If I want pumpkins in the house I guess I'll just have to crochet a few. This pumpkin is teeny, about 3 inches tall, including the stem. I bought the pattern from this seller on Etsy. Amigurumi fruits and vegetables crack me up. The rest of my family thinks I'm nuts. I didn't put a face on this little pumpkin because I wanted something more realistic.

Here is another teeny pumpkin, which I cross stitched a couple years ago.
It's stitched over one thread on 28 count linen. The finished design is one inch, so it's really tiny! I can't remember who the pattern designer is. I'll try to find out so I can share that information. (Found it! It's Itty Bitty Pumpkin by Twisted Threads.)
My family loves to eat pumpkin foods. We make pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes, and, my daughter's favorite, Pumpkin Custard. I got this recipe from an online friend a couple years ago. If you love pumpkin, but you don't have ramekins , go buy some. It's worth it for this custard!
Pumpkin Custard (from Moosewood Low-fat Favorites)
2 cups cooked pumpkin (a 16 oz can)
12 oz can evaporated skim milk
2 eggs
3 egg whites
3/4 cup pure maple syrup OR packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare eight 6-oz custard cups or ramekins with a light coating of cooking spray. Arrange the cups in a shallow, flat-bottomed baking pan. Bring a kettle of water to a boil.
Puree all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour the custard equally into the baking cups. Pour the boiling water into the baking pan, around the custard cups, to about a 2 inch depth. (You may want to put the pan into the oven first, then pour the boiling water while the pan is in the oven.)
Bake for 45-60 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cups from the water, cool at room temperature, then refrigerate.
It tastes a lot like pumpkin pie.

No comments: