Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hot Chocolate

How do you make hot chocolate? My daughter and I are big fans of hot chocolate, so I'm trying to find an easy method of making a really tasty cuppa.

We used to buy the mix-with-water hot chocolate, but one day I read the ingredients and that was the end of that. Now we buy chocolate powder that you mix with milk. Sometimes we buy a "fancy" brand, sometimes the not-so-fancy brand. I don't like the skin that develops when milk is heated, so my current method is to heat up water and stir in powdered milk with the chocolate powder. I use a little battery-operated frother to thoroughly dissolve all the powder.

I am waiting for this book to come in through interlibrary loan, so in the meantime I thought I'd ask how others treat themselves to hot chocolate.

It snowed today, so it's definitely hot chocolate weather!

6 comments:

Bunny said...

Mmmm! I almost wish it would snow just so I could make hot chocolate. Hot chocolate doesn't seem as nice when it isn't cold and snowy. :)

wife2abadge said...

Our recipe is fairly simple, but it does involve the stove.

bookwormbethie said...

Oh snow! Lucky you! We RARELY get snow here in GA. What state are you lucky enough to live in where you get snow???

I use the scarey powdered cocoa but I put a generous sprinkling of cinnamon in with the powder. Add the hot water (about 2/3 cup) and once stirred I add a 1/2 tsp or so of vanilla extract. I got the idea from the Nestle package. It is yummy!

That book looks awesome!!!! I became lactose intolerant when I was in my early 20s (but luckily can still handle yogurt and cheese in moderate amounts and thankfully dairy in baked goods) and I sooooo miss hot cocoa made with real milk.

Hope your library book comes soon!

Lynn said...

I have recently tried chocolate soy milk heated. It is pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Here's our recipe, especially good on snowy — or rainy — days. This makes one mug of cocoa, so (obviously) multiply it appropriately:

Whisk together and bring to a boil:
2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 T. sugar
1 pinch of salt
1/3 cup water

Then add and heat until warm:
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teas. vanilla

BTW, I've not had a skin develop on this.

Yum!
Tina

besomom said...

Thanks for the recipe suggestions I'll definitely try them. The addition of cinammon sounds really yummy! wife2abadge, if you have time to share your method, I'd love to hear it.

The snow isn't sticking yet. We've just had flurries in the air, enough to turn the roofs and the grass white, but pavement is still clear. Hopefully we have a few weeks before we get a significant snow fall. The first one is always fun, but after that...ugh. I lived in Minnesota for a few years a long time ago, and was there for the famous Halloween Blizzard of '91 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_Blizzard), when we got 28 inches of snow! It took FOREVER to shovel the cars out.