Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I didn't have to wait in line

My kids had the day off from school today, so I took them with me to watch me vote. They have seen me vote in local elections before, but never a presidential one. Voting for your country's leader is a significant part of being an American, and I wanted my kids to be involved. I decided last week that we'd head for the polls mid-afternoon, hoping that we'd get a lull between the lunch rush and the off-from-work-early rush.

My neighbors reported a 90 minute wait this morning, so I packed a book and told the kids to be prepared. In 2004, I remember standing in line for quite a long time. Imagine my surprise when we got to the school and there was no line at all! There was just one person in front of me. Where the heck was everyone? I'd be worried that turn-out is bad, but the poll workers assured me that the place had been jam-packed up until about noon. I guess my calculations on the best time to vote were extremely accurate!

To everyone who got out to vote today, especially if you were one of the ones who waited in a long line, thanks for doing your part.

And in a sea of serious campaign signs, this one just cracked me up:



3 comments:

Lynn said...

I waited about 30 minutes. B didn't have to wait at all.

Anonymous said...

We like to be ceremonious about our voting. We bring our kids, go to the polling place, and cast our votes. Yesterday was especially grand. We stayed up late as a family, watching the returns and the speeches.

We are JUBILANT about the outcome.

Tina

Kathy said...

Love the Tina Fey sign! My son is used to going with me to vote -- I've been bringing him since he was a baby. I voted early, and despite reports of long lines for early voting here in Florida, I only waited about 20 minutes.