Sunday, December 28, 2008

Cheerio Nuggets

We drove through two hours of dense fog and heavy rain to get to my parents' house yesterday to finally celebrate Christmas together. My whole family showed up, which surprised me, seeing how they had all celebrated together last Sunday when we were supposed to be there, and then they all got together on Christmas day, too. Needless to say, after yesterday's gathering, they have all had their fill of Christmas!

Fortunately my mom didn't put out all the food for the gatherings earlier in the week. She saved a lot of it, including this Cheerios mix. I love this stuff. I don't know when the recipe first came out, but my grandma started making it back in the early 1980s. I think it is Cheerios answer to Chex Mix. It's sweet rather than savory, and completely addicting. I rarely make it myself, in an effort of self preservation, because I can't stay away from it when I know it's in the house.

Cheerio Nuggets

1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 C plain Cheerios cereal
1 C peanuts
1 C raisins
(I have also seen versions of this recipe with a cup of M&Ms as well, but we've never tried that addition)

Heat oven to 250 F. Grease either two 13x9 cake pans or one jelly roll pan (15x10).

Heat brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt in a two-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring until it is melted and bubbling. Stir in baking soda until mixture is foamy and light colored. Pour over combined cereal, peanuts and raisins in a large greased bowl. Stir until completely coated. Spread the cereal mixture evenly in the pan (or pans). Bake for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven, stir, and let stand for 10 minutes. Loosen with a spatula. Let stand until firm, about 30 minutes. Break into bite-sized pieces. Store in a tightly covered container.

This is yummy to have at home, and also makes a nice hostess gift or gift for friends and neighbors.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

OH wow those look good! I've never heard of that mix. I know of Cheerios being used in a "Reindeer mix" but it's not like that.
Glad to hear you had a nice visit with your family :o)
Wendy
My Blog