Thursday, January 8, 2009

Elephant Pocket Pillow

You may remember the Dolly in a Pocket I made for my niece a few months ago. I gave it to her for her first birthday in mid-December. Because her older brothers were so excited about her birthday, they were allowed to unwrap her presents for her. Her 5 year old brother unwrapped the dolly in a pocket pillow, and was utterly taken with it. He declared it "the best present ever" (those were his exact words), cuddled it to his chest, then scurried off to put it on his own bed. I don't think I've ever given a gift that was met with so much enthusiasm! What could I do but promise to make him a pocket pillow of his own?



My nephew loves animals. His special favorite animal is the meerkat, but he also likes elephants. I thought an embroidered elephant would be cuter than an embroidered meerkat, so I searched around for a suitable elephant to embroider. Flickr to the rescue! (here and here)

My nephew told me his favorite colors are blue and green. The fabrics aren't exactly elephanty, but color-wise they fit the bill.




The elephant looks huge in the top photo, but he's actually only three-and-a-half inches tall.




These pocket pillows may become my signature gift!


4 comments:

Alice said...

this is a super cute pillow! do you sell them as well?

besomom said...

Thank you, Alice. No, I don't sell them, I just make them as gifts for the children in my life.

Tricia said...

Very cute! Has this one been declared best present ever?

Speaking of pocket dolls, I've been seeing clever takes on the Matryoshka nesting dolls - such as this one that is a Santa with gift and bauble: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10003334@N06/3061003788/

and I saw another one that was pancake with fried egg and bacon (!!).

Shelagh Fehrenbach said...

Ohhh! Such fond memories of Sim opening that one! I can't believe how much everyone has changed since then!