Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Rocket Science

The light bulb over my kitchen sink burned out yesterday. My kitchen lacks natural light, so I need that light, even on a sunny day.

The division of labor in our house is fairly traditional. If a job requires a screwdriver or a hammer or a shovel, I am loathe to do it, not because I can't do it, but because I'm lazy. I don't want to have to go find a screwdriver or a hammer or a shovel, so I leave those jobs for my husband. Changing light bulbs almost falls into that category, but since my husband can live without the light while I like to have rooms lit up as much as possible, I change the light bulbs when they burn out (even the stairwell night lights, which require a screwdriver to change!).

So, yesterday when the light bulb over my kitchen sink burned out, I climbed right up on a step stool to get that puppy changed.

Screech screech screech. Screech screech screech.

That is the sound of a light fixture spinning uselessly while its light bulb refuses to come out. No matter how I tried, I could not get that light bulb loose, and I managed only to rotate the light fixture to the point where I was afraid the whole thing was going to fall down.

Much to my disgust, I had to leave the thing until my husband could help. I definitely needed an extra pair of hands to hold the fixture steady for me while I wrestled the bulb loose.

When he came home, I very briefly explained the situation. We didn't have time to discuss it in detail (read: I didn't have time to defend my helplessness!), because he had to rush our son off to basketball practice, but later when they were home again I heard screech screech screech coming from the kitchen. I poked my head in the door to offer my help. Nope. He said he could manage. Okey dokey.

I was busy overseeing homework and snack and all those things with the kids, so the screeches and bangs coming from the kitchen barely registered with me until I wandered in there to get a drink for one of the kids, only to see this:
A hole in the ceiling where my light fixture usually hangs!

My husband was sitting on the couch with a completely dismantled light fixture across his lap, screwdriver in hand. What happened? Something was stuck in the light fixture and jamming the light bulb. I was relieved to know my failure to change that light bulb was for legitimate reasons!

My daughter watched, open-mouthed, and asked in awe, "How hard is it to change a light bulb?"
I guess it depends on the fixture!

After a good 15 minutes of tinkering, we were back in business.
This prompted me to think of changing light bulb jokes. I tried to find a joke about how many mothers it takes to change a light bulb, but my brief googling came up dry. I did find some librarian jokes that cracked me up, though.
Q: How many librarians does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Three. One to change it, and two to talk about how unprofessional changing light bulbs really is. (If you don't think that's funny, you're not a librarian!)
Q: How many librarians does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Well, what type of light bulb do you need to change? (Reference Desk 101, folks)
I also found some homeschoolers-change-light bulb jokes here which really made me laugh, too. We do not homeschool, but we certainly fit the description in those jokes!


3 comments:

nwhiker said...

This made me laugh. Because ummmm:
Been there, done that. "This should be easy, I don't have to ask dh..." Ummm... Ummm... Shoot! Didn't work.... Daaaaaave?

I triage on a strictly time and aesthetics basis: if dh can do a faster job than I can, I assemble what he'll need and ask. If the job needs to be done "cleanly" and can't allow for mistakes, I ask him. Additional complication is that I'm left handed and I can't use some tools real well.

Anne said...

Thank you for the laugh tonight!

Anonymous said...

That light fixture story reminded me of so many incidents at our house.

And as a homeschooling mom, I loved the homeschoolers changing the lightbulb. So true.

Tina