Friday, February 27, 2009

Back in the Kitchen

Thanks for the pretzel recipe links. I have them filed away for future reference. We ended up trying this copycat recipe for Aunt Annie's pretzels. The dough was still kind of sticky, so we ended up making sticks instead of twists. They tasted very close to Aunt Annie's, which made the kids happy. They love Aunt Annie's pretzels. We don't get them very often, so it was extra fun to make them at home. I didn't take photos of our second pretzel session.

The kids had this past week off from school, and what with me still recovering (but really feeling better every day), we stayed close to home. My dad sent me a recipe for Microwave Chocolate Cake in a Mug, which has vacation-at-home written all over it! I let the kids each make their own one night after dinner.

You mix up your ingredients in a microwave safe mug and cook it in the microwave for 3 minutes.
It pops up over the top of the mug while it's cooking, but then plops back into the mug the second the microwave shuts off.


It looked completely unappetizing dumped out on a plate, so I didn't take pictures of that! Whipped cream gets sprayed on just about everything in our house, most definitely on chocolate cake. I think ice cream would have been a better accompaniment, but we didn't have any.
Each cake has an egg, 4 T of sugar, and 3 T of oil (in addition to other ingredients). I told the kids they wouldn't sit down and eat a whole egg, 4 T of sugar, and 3 T of oil plain in one sitting, so I only let them eat half of their cake in one sitting. (Common sense says if I was only going to let them eat half of the cake I should have only made one cake, but Mom sense says it is more fun if each kid makes their own cake!) They got pretty full on one half anyway, and ate the other half the next night.
I had a small bite of the cake. I didn't think it was very good. It had a slightly burned taste, and was very dry. Maybe we didn't need to cook them for the full 3 minutes. But it was an entertaining dessert, that's for sure!
Here is a very similar recipe to the one we used. The only difference in our recipe was to use regular flour, and add a dash of vanilla.


No comments: