Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Valentine Wreath


I haven't been working on anything new the past few weeks, so I thought I'd share something old. I made this heart wreath in the early 1990s following a pattern out of a Vanessa Ann's Holidays in Cross Stitch book. I loved those Vanessa Ann books. I discovered them in the public library when I was living in Minnesota, back when I had an easy job (easy meaning I went home at 4:00 p.m. every day, and didn't work evenings or weekends), lived in an apartment (very low-maintenance!), and had no children. My mind boggles now at all the free time I must have had back then! I would check the Vanessa Ann books out from the library, head to Frank's Nursery and Crafts to buy my stitch supplies, and spend my evenings stitching away.
As I get older, I appreciate now how much of my life is stitched into the things I've made over the years. When I see this heart wreath, I don't just see a heart wreath. I see myself as a young woman in a somewhat shabby apartment with a boring job in a happy relationship dreaming of a bright future. A little bit of my heart and soul is in everything I make.

1 comment:

bookwormbethie said...

that is lovely, and i like best the story behind the stitched piece!