Sunday, March 1, 2009

Week of Color: Rainbow

I am joining my friend Lynn at The Little Red Hen in blogging a week of color. March is a long, trying month for those of us where winter lingers on and signs of spring are reluctant to show themselves. While we are still waiting for the burst of color that comes with spring, we have taken matters into our own hands to find our own bits of color. Today is Rainbow Day.

My daughter made the star above at school in December. My children attend a public school with a truly multi-cultural student body. Teachers and parents make great efforts to celebrate traditions and holidays from as many cultures as possible, and this year that included Las Posadas. The children decorated these cut-out stars to represent the pinatas used in the Las Posadas celebrations. This star has been cheering up our dining room ever since my daughter brought it home before winter vacation. It really is like a ray of sunshine every time I see it.
My son made this abstract drawing when he was in first grade, using oil pastels. I loved it so much I framed it and hung it in my bedroom. Have you seen that documentary, My Kid Could Paint That? I'm thinking, yes, my kid could paint that, too. It was difficult to get a good photo of this, due to unavoidable reflection from the glass in the frame. It's drawn on construction paper, which has faded dramatically over the past five years, but I'd rather have it out where I can see it than tucked away where I don't.

These two lovely things bring me bursts of color every day!

I also have this prism hanging in the south window in my dining room.
On sunny days (a rarity around here from November to February) I have little rainbows dancing all over my house. When my children were toddlers they tried to catch the rainbows, and were very puzzled when they couldn't close their hands around them. A close friend gave me the prism many years ago, when I was still in high school. It used to hang in my bedroom window when I lived with my parents. I brought it with me when I went to college, and it's been with me everywhere I've lived since. This simple gift has brought me so much cheer.

6 comments:

Lynn said...

We enjoyed the sun yesterday and also had some prism rainbows around our kitchen. I tried to get a photo of them but it didn't work very well.

beinred said...

I love the kid art. Thanks for sharing some of your color.

nwhiker said...

I won't link to you without permission (since my blog has -ahem- questionable content on it!), but if it's ok, can I put a link to this post on my lj? I'd like to do a week of colourful things too! That sounds like such a great idea. Leila.

nwhiker said...

And of course I forgot to say how much I liked the post and how much I'm looking forward to your week!

Ashley said...

I loved your sons abstract art. You are right to have it out and enjoyed rather than hidden away.

Floss said...

What a lovely rainbow set of pictures! I'm really enjoying this Week of Colour. It's been good to read your blog. A bientot from France!