Monday, May 18, 2009

Crazy week, quiet Sunday

Last week was hectic. My husband and I organize my daughter's elementary school's participation in the annual county-wide science competition (blogged here last year). This is something we work on for most of the school year, but the week leading up to the Big Day is always crazy, because no matter how prepared we are, there is always a last minute crisis or two to keep things exciting. We weathered it all, and seeing all of the energized kids this past Saturday made all of our efforts so worthwhile. Seeing our daughter and her two teammates stand up on stage receiving the first place medal for the 3rd grade rocks test put the icing on the cake!
After that crazy week and even crazier Saturday, I needed to have a quiet Sunday, so I spent yesterday afternoon trying something new: paper cutting. I have been wanting to try it for awhile, and seeing Glenda's cuttings of this pattern on her blog, Wren and Stitchy, a few weeks ago was the kick in the pants I needed to finally give this craft a try. I love the serenity of this pattern from Fog and Thistle, and it looked like a good one for a beginner. I also really liked how Glenda used patterned paper for her cuttings, as I've only seen cuttings done in plain paper. The patterned paper looks like fabric. Thanks for that idea, Glenda! I'm really pleased with how it turned out. The quiet focus of working on this was just what I needed after the stress of last week.

Now I'm gearing up for all of the end-of-school-year craziness of ice cream socials, picnics, field days, concerts, and, for my middle-school son, end-of-year long-term projects. This week is a lull, but after Memorial Day, it will be sheer hysteria until mid June!

4 comments:

Taiya said...

very nice! I like that. Something to add to my list of 'Stuff to Try'.

Glenda said...

That turned out so pretty!! I like how you used two patterned papers.

Isn't papercutting so relaxing, in spite of how much you have to concentrate on what you're doing?!! I love it.

nwhiker said...

Yay for child and her team, and wow! on the paper cutting. I'm quite impressed.

Bunny said...

Such a cute papercut! I'm glad you had a nice, quiet day after a crazy week. We all need one every now and then. :)