Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Planting

We had gorgeous weather for our long holiday weekend, so we got our gardens planted with no troubles at all. The new part of the herb garden looks a little spare right now, but it will fill in as things grow. I also planted some nasturtium seeds. I don't know if I'll actually eat it (I don't think I can bring myself to eat a flower), but they will look pretty when they bloom.
This columbine is currently in a pot in the herb garden, waiting patiently for me to put it in its permanent home, somewhere else in the yard.
We planted our vegetable plot in the community garden, too, mostly from seed, but we did buy tomato and pepper seedlings, and we're waiting on broccoli seedlings. Every nursery we visited or phoned over the weekend was out of broccoli, but they all said they should have some on Wednesday. Hmm. I guess a big broccoli seedling truck will be pulling into town today!



We had lovely sunshine all weekend long for planting, now today it has been raining, so I don't have to worry about walking over to water. Perfect.


4 comments:

Bunny said...

Your garden is lovely! A community garden sounds interesting, how does it work?

besomom said...

Thanks!

In our community, there is an organization that provides land for gardening. These areas are scattered throughout town to make them convenient for just about every neighborhood. Gardeners pay rent to use a plot for the summer. The organization plows the gardens in the spring and again in the fall, and stakes out the plots. Gardeners have to follow certain guidelines. Everything must be grown organically, and we cannot plant anything invasive.

The garden in my neighborhood has 36 plots. You can pay for a whole plot, two whole plots, or just a half plot. We garden a half plot, which is approximately 10 feet by 30 feet. A full plot would be 20 by 30.

Anne said...

We were going to do the community garden this year, but decided to wait. I will live through you this Summer.

Tricia said...

It's fun to eat a flower! Nasturtiums are kind of spicy. Borage is another edible flower, it's blue and tends to the sweet end. However, it is pretty successful at self-seeding! (It's supposed to be a good companion plant for tomatoes, if I recall correctly. Or maybe not. But it's fun to eat the flowers. :^)