Saturday, July 11, 2009

Carnival

I took my daughter to the carnival tonight. I didn't really want to go. It's too expensive, the groups of teens can be intimidating, the food is wretched, the rides aren't safe, the carnies are sleazy, the games are rigged, and the prizes are tacky anyway.

But she begged.

And it is summer, after all, when one does things like spend vast amounts of money at carnivals.

She rode the carousel and the bumper cars. I wouldn't let her ride anything that lifts off the ground or holds you upside down. I think about all those bolts being put together and taken apart, and being jostled down the highway, repeatedly, all year long, and it scares me. But the carousel and bumper cars seem pretty safe.Happily, at this carnival, there were lots of games with a guaranteed prize for the kids. She chose a fishing game.



I fully expected that she'd get one chance to snag the fish, and if she missed, that was the end, because that is how these things operated when I was a kid, but the very nice carnie, who seemed not sleazy at all, told me she got as many chances as it took until she snagged one.
And the prize was actually kind of cute!


Now if I could just stop worrying that it is stuffed with razor blades, I'll be a happy mom.

No comments: