Thursday, August 27, 2009

Winding Down: a Hodgepodge Post

We have been busy doing nothing around here. Busy, because I feel like I am in constant motion, but nothing, because I feel like nothing concrete gets accomplished! It's that end of summer busy-ness, where we try to get all the doctor and dentist appointments squeezed in before school starts, plus we are trying to accomplish the fun things on our summer hope list, a list we compiled back in June when it seemed like we had forever to get it all done.

My son turned 12 on Monday. Every new age sounds so old to me. Ten sounded so old two years ago. Now that he's 12 (what? 12?), 10 sounds pretty young. I try to keep that in mind when I feel like crying. He'll never be this young again!

He didn't have his traditional cake this year. He wanted Flower Pot Pudding Cake, complete with the flower! We had that on Sunday when family came to celebrate. On Monday, his actual birthday, we thawed some Blueberry Crumb Bars I had in the freezer and ate it a la mode.

I have a love-hate relationship with baking. I love to bake, and I love to eat what I bake. However, I hate the repercussions of all that eating. I have a hard time resisting baked goods. If I have a pan of Blueberry Crumb Bars on the counter, I will eat a sliver every time I walk through the kitchen. I want to bake! I don't want to eat it all in one day! My baking strategy is to bake, then freeze in small portions. Every couple of days, I will thaw something for that day's dessert. If there is just one piece thawed per person, no one (ahem, me) can have seconds (or thirds...). My freezer lets me have my cake and eat it, too.

I did some baking today. The kids requested Orange Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread , and I also tried a new recipe for Cinnamon Pumpkin Banana Bread. I first saw the recipe in the newspaper when I was visiting my parents, and I found it online here. The bread is pretty dense and heavy, and not very sweet. I think it's good, but it's one of those recipes that tastes like it's good for you, so we'll see how it goes over with the children!

My daughter and I have done a little bit of back to school clothes shopping. Her style preferences just kill me. We do not have the same taste at all! It's not that I dislike her taste, but she picks colors and patterns I would never pick myself, and the things I love and swoon over, she does not like at all. I do have a hard time accepting her taste in shoes. I love those sporty Mary Janes you see everywhere. I think they are so cute and functional. I want to buy her every pair I see! My daughter calls them all "throat clutching", and will clutch her throat and make gagging noises whenever I hopefully point to a pair. Sigh.

We did both agree on these, though.

How can you go wrong with purple tie-dye shoes?

1 comment:

Glenda said...

My son turned 11 this summer and even he commented "didn't I just turn 10?!!" The time has FLOWN by insanely faster than usual.

Oh, wow, I am SO with you on the baking thing!!! I love to bake, but I will eat whatever's been baked, as long as it's here. But I don't want to bake and give it all away either ;-). Good idea about freezing stuff. I baked a new banana bread recipe a couple nights ago (a recipe from Pioneer Woman's blog; we thought the recipe was only so-so, so I won't make it again -- not sweet enough or banana-y enough) -- hubby is trying to keep his sweet intake minimal, so I ate a piece of bread and froze the rest in big slices. It does cut down on impulse eating.

"Throat-clutching" -- hahahaha!! Those purple tie dye shoes are GREAT!