Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Quilt for my niece

First, let me lament that my camera just cannot seem to capture the colors of this quilt properly. I have taken photos indoors and out, from every angle, under direct light and indirect light, and I've messed with the settings on my camera countless times, and this is the best I can do! This quilt is much cheerier and sweeter in person that it looks here.

That said, is it okay for me confess that I am in love with this little quilt? Because I am. My niece is turning two in December, and my sister-in-law asked me to make a quilt for her. I knew I wanted to do something simple and sweet, and while I was in the critical planning phase of the quilt, Alicia Paulson posted her Ollalieberry Ice Cream Quilt. Bingo! Exactly what I had in mind.
I love the little flowers and dots sprinkled all over. For my "solid" color I chose a tone-on-tone print. That would be the blue fabric. It has little hearts bubbled all over it, which are hard to make out in the photos.


I wanted the color palette to be similar to the quilt on my daughter's bed (seen in this photo--I didn't make my daughter's quilt), so that was my inspiration when I was fabric shopping. My daughter doesn't like the random placement of squares in this new quilt, but I like it.

It's all just so sweet and girly and cuddly. I might have to make another to keep.

4 comments:

Glenda said...

Oh man, I *love* that blue!! What a pretty quilt :).

Michele T. said...

I don't know if it's the photos but the colors kind of remind me of a big old paper classroom map. I mean that in a really nice way! The cool watery blues, with the pinks. I'm sure she will love it in the years to come!

besomom said...

Thanks, Glenda!

Michele, you're right, I can see that in the photos, too, now that you point it out. However, in real life, the colors are more vibrant and not quite so pale, so it looks less map-like in person.

Tricia said...

I think it looks cheery and sweet as is!