Saturday, January 16, 2010

In which I make a facial goop, and other weekend news


After 7 years of karate training (and achieving 2nd degree black belt rank back in November), my son had his last class today. He is ready to move on to new things, namely baseball. I feel a little sad about the end of karate for him, but he feels excited. We stopped and bought cupcakes after class to mark the occasion. My daughter (who achieved 1st degree black belt rank in November) is continuing her training, so we're still a karate family, but it will be weird that my son won't be involved any more. On the plus side, he can hand all his martial arts weapons down to his sister, so we won't have to buy another set of everything. In my childless daydreams of motherhood, I never imagined my children would be passing weapons on to each other!

Speaking of my daughter, she was home sick all week. It started with a fever, and when that went away the GI stuff started. Ugh. By Friday afternoon she was clearly on the mend, so she and I made a couple of these heart suncatchers with wire and beads. Today her friend came over, and they painted these little bobblehead pets from a Creativity for Kids kit. Those two girls love crafting together. They will sit for hours, drawing, painting, cutting, gluing, and they love to show me what they've made. They are so fun to have around. My daughter loves cats, and her friend loves puppies, so this was the perfect kit for them. The puppy is painted to look like the earth, and the kitty is painted to look like the cat my husband and I had when we were first married.

So, the facial goop, which I put in the title of my post... I'm fairly low maintenance in the skin-care department, but this time of year my face gets really dull and pale, so I need to exfoliate or something. I like to do the occasional facial. I was thinking I needed to head to the drugstore to look at what's available, but then it dawned on me that I could make my own face mask right here at home, with ingredients from the kitchen. I poked around the web and found a bunch of recipes, and I chose to do a simple oatmeal and yogurt concoction.

The recipe said to grind up the oatmeal. I was mentally preparing myself for getting out the blender and having dust fly all over the kitchen when my son asked me if he could take an oatmeal bath. He feels like he's coming down with whatever my daughter had, and when my kids are sick, they like to take oatmeal baths. (Cannot for the life of me remember how that started!) I have packets of Aveeno colloidal oatmeal for this very purpose, and as I dumped a packet into the tub for him, I had a little aha moment, and five minutes later I was in the kitchen, making my facial goop with the Aveeno colloidal oatmeal.

I used 2 T oatmeal, 2 T yogurt (you're supposed to use plain, but all we have on hand is vanilla, so that's what I used), and a couple drops of honey. I smeared it all over my freshly washed face and left it on for 20 minutes. It felt really good, all cool and smooth, and it tightened up nicely. A little too tight, maybe, because when I washed it off (in the kitchen sink--the thought of it going down the bathroom sink grossed me out a little), I ended up having to scrub at it with a washcloth. I never scrub my face--scrubbing is so bad for your skin--so I scrubbed as gently as I could, then rinsed with cool water, and ahhhh, my skin feels so dewy, and it's got this nice glow to it now instead of that dull pasty look.


The smell of the concoction smelled exactly like the homemade muesli I make (which we all refer to as "cold oatmeal"), so of course I had to make some of that as soon as the facial was over.

Muesli

2 Cups old fashioned oats
1 Cup milk
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon


Mix together, refrigerate overnight. Mix the oatmeal with yogurt, nuts, and/or fruit into individual servings.


That will be Sunday's breakfast!


(Living large on a Saturday night here at House of Hodgepodge...)

3 comments:

Glenda said...

"In my childless daydreams of motherhood, I never imagined my children would be passing weapons on to each other!" -- Haha, I can totally relate! We had a couple of kiddo's younger cousins over last week and I chuckled when I heard myself telling him, "Okay, I brought out the big box of Pokemon action figures & your stash of toy weapons" -- so not something I would've envisioned coming out of my mouth before becoming a mommy.

Congrats to your son for his success in karate, your daughter too.

Bummer about the sick kiddo business tho. Hope your son isn't knocked out for a week like your daughter was. Hope you & your hubby avoid whatever bug it is.

The face mask sounds lovely & soothing. It's been soooooo long since I've done anything more than wash my face & apply moisturizer/sunscreen. A facial sounds quite wonderful.

Kathy said...

Congratulations to your son! I hope he enjoys baseball as much as he enjoyed karate. Martial arts has been a part of our lives for so long too, and I wonder what it will be like when it's over. I sometimes wonder if he'll be like the teens at the studio who stay on to teach, or if he'll just move on to something else.

driftwood said...

hope the illnesses are all cleared up now, the beaded heart is lovely - what a sweet project to do together