Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Snowflake Scarf

Presenting my Granny Snowflake Scarf!
I got the idea for a crocheted snowflake scarf when Lucy at Attic 24 posted about her Granny Stars. The pattern she used (and I modified only slightly) is here. I figured one extra point in the Granny would give me a 6-point snowflake instead of a 5-point star, so I modified the pattern simply by making the ring one chain longer and adding one extra group of double crochets (for a total of 6 instead of 5) into the first round. As Lucy would say, Ta Da!





My scarf is crocheted with one 50g ball of Rowan Cashcotton DK 600 in white, using a G hook. I got 10 snowflakes out of one ball. I left long tails when I finished each off so I could sew them together.





This reminds me of my flower scarf (not blogged, but pictured here), but the snowflakes went together much faster.
I think the points are going to curl a lot in this scarf, but it's still lacy and snuggly, and I love it!

10 comments:

Gerbera said...

Love the flower scarf!! (and the snowflake one, too). If I come over some Saturday or Sunday can you teach me to crochet so I can make flowers and stars? Email me and let me know :-)

Cindy F.

Leila said...

Totally cool!

Anonymous said...

love your scarf, i hope you dont mind me copying it. I if post a photo anywhere i will be sure to link it back to your blog x

Glenda said...

I love it, Tracy! I was wondering if it'd be warm, but as I read through the post you answered that question for me :).

One of these days I *will* learn how to crochet and knit . . .

ARTISANNE said...

Cool is the word, it looks fab!!! Have never come across granny STARS, wonderful.

Working on my first crochet blanket and loving every minute, even if it is a bit wonky :)

Isabelle said...

How pretty!

I've just popped over from Susan's and am enjoying reading your archives. What a happy impression you give of your lovely family life!

besomom said...

Thanks for all the nice comments. It's nice to hear from new people, too!

Michelle said...

just lovely with the six points...
I did a revise about a 6 point and made it into a doily...
I adore your scarf and love that you created this...
I would still love it if you added it to the grandma tutorial flickr group I have...As it is just so pretty...
and may inspire new crocheters to make the same...
Regards Michelle...

Kathy said...

Cute scarf. I love the snowflakes. I belong to a crochet group, and our last big thing, in November, was to make scarves for a local homeless shelter. When we did it I thought, "This is nice, but who wears scarves in Florida?". Well, as you might have heard, we're having freakishly cold weather, so I guess it was a good thing after all.

besomom said...

Michelle, Thank you for visiting! I found your flickr group and added the scarf. I will visit your blog and the flickr group regularly. Thank you!