Monday, January 25, 2010

winter doldrums

This is such a yuck time of year for me. The holidays are over, someone is always home sick, there are too many 3-day weekends... I like having my children home, but these 3-day weekends just kill routine and structure, and I feel like I never get into a good groove because the groove is always being interrupted. Is it spring yet? I need spring.

Oh, well, enough complaining. As evidenced by the photo above, I am making a scrappy heart quilt, which is making me immensely happy. I'm done piecing now, and on to the quilting part. I am so attracted to the heart motif. I try to resist it because I think it may be too cutesy or country or unsophisticated, but then I say to heck with all that. If I like hearts, I like hearts, and if they make me happy, I'm going to have them around.

The opposite of cutesy heart quilts would be a murder scene depicted in Lego.



My son has to make a book jacket for Murder on the Orient Express for a school project, including an illustration of a scene from the book. Instead of drawing, he chose to create a scene with Lego and take a photo of it. It's always nice when he is enthusiastic about homework, and I like how he figured out a way to do his homework and play with Lego at the same time! That's what it's all about.

5 comments:

Glenda said...

Oh, I hate that feeling of not being able to settle into a groove. Will you have several weeks without a school holiday, now?

I *love* your scrappy heart quilt. I'm with you -- make what you love :).

Your son's creativity is great!! Pretty cool that he figured out a way to complete the assignment while also incorporating his love of Legos.

Lynn said...

I love the lego scene.

besomom said...

Glenda: several weeks without a school holiday? I wish. One or both of them have every other Monday off throughout January and February, so literally every other weekend is 3-day. Then they both have the entire last week of February completely off. In March my daughter has a 3-day weekend and my son has one half day. Beginning of April is another whole week off. Like I said, I like having them home, but the on-off schedule in the winter really drives me crazy.

Glenda said...

Wow, that's alotta days off!! I can see how it'd be challenging to have some sort of routine! The 3-day weekends & that week off in Feb would be much more enjoyable, I imagine, later in the spring, when being outdoors w/o bundling up isn't necessary.

Mistea said...

It appears you have passed the creative genes to your son, I love his scene in Lego. Your heart is special and you are right if you like them then you should play - have fun. Happy Weekend