Thursday, April 1, 2010

Return of the Bird

Last night at dinner my son said "We need to have a family meeting with everyone present. Everyone except for Mom." Real subtle, son. Given that it was March 31, I knew exactly what was up.

Last year they came up with an April Fool prank so fiendish it still gives me the willies to think about. I had a sneaky suspicion that an ostrich would once again be involved, so this morning when I woke up to find these on my bedroom doors

I was not surprised. The birds gave me a chuckle rather than a cold chill down my spine (although I couldn't look at them for too long, because, ewww, creepy!).

I got out of bed, grabbed my robe, and headed straight for the bathroom. We have cats who get into everything, so we always, without fail, keep our toilet lids closed. I reached down, lifted the lid, and....

there it was. There was the thing that made me scream and sent chills down my spine. I was so creeped out I couldn't even use that toilet. I flipped the lid closed and headed downstairs to the other bathroom, nervously checking around corners, certain I'd see a real ostrich trotting around. Yes, I freak out over ostriches that easily. I'm not even sure that is an ostrich. It might be an emu. Whatever. It's large and avian and staring right at me with wild eyes. Run away!

I proceeded about my morning routine with much trepidation and caution for the first half hour or so, but no more surprises were in store for me. Whew! It took me a good couple hours to muster up the courage to reopen the toilet lid so I could snap the photo.

My only prank on my kids wasn't that much of a prank. I went to a bakery yesterday and got them April Fool cupcakes.
Reports are they were quite delicious!

2 comments:

Leila said...

Tears running down my face, I'm laughing so hard.

Sorry it was traumatic, though. It was funny to read about.

Glenda said...

Oh, I remember you talking about the ostrich last April Fool's!! What a hoot your family are ;-).