Saturday, June 12, 2010

Computer woes AGAIN, and Blueberry Soup

I lost my laptop during a thunderstorm about 10 days ago. It was a fairly fierce mid-morning storm, when everyone was at school or work and I was home alone. During intense storms I stand in my kitchen, which is in the center of my home, so it has no exterior walls, but it still has good views to the outside. I feel protected there (I try not to think about stories I've heard of lightning coming through kitchen faucets--I just don't run the water!). The sky was darkening, thunder was booming, trees were swaying, lightning was flashing, rain was driving, when all of a sudden there was a simultaneous flash of lightning and crash of thunder. I heard a pop and saw a spark from the general area of my computer, and I thought: did I just see what I think I saw? Unfortunately, yes. That was the end of my computer. Man, I thought that thing was on a surge protector. Why wasn't it on a surge protector? Once again, I find myself almost completely cut off from the internet. I think the universe is trying to tell me something!

That makes it difficult for me to share photos, so I cannot show you the absolutely beautiful blueberry soup I made for dessert today. Our family life has been so nutty with end-of-school-year brou ha ha. We haven't had dinner together at home more than once a week for the past three weeks, but today we did (hooray!), and to celebrate, I tried a new (to me) recipe from Eating Well. My kids were suspicious, because there is very little sugar and lots of sour cream involved, but my son proclaimed, after one bite, "this is delicious!" It's sweet and tangy and spicy all at the same time. I followed the recipe almost exactly, not using cardamom pods, and using my immersion blender instead of transferring to a blender.

Link to the recipe here.

School ends this week, woo hoo. The end-of-year projects and parties and picnics always make me count the days as much as the kids do, until I suddenly realize they're going to be home all the time, and then I have to pause for a minute and take a deep breath. I love having them home, I really do, but I can't deny there is an adjustment period for me when vacation starts. We're working on our summer fun list, and will have to get started on it pretty much right away if we hope to cram it all in!

1 comment:

Glenda said...

That stinks about your laptop, and how startling that must've been! When I was a teen, my brothers & I were home alone when a wicked t-storm rolled through. We saw a flash of lightning at the same time we heard the thunder and BOOM our tv was blown out - freaked us out!! I don't mind storms, but I definitely tense up when the lightning gets close.

I hope you guys have a fun summer -- those two months zoom by so fast!!