Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blackwork Sampler


I recently completed this Blackwork Sampler to give to a friend as a housewarming gift. The pattern is from Alicia Paulson's new book Embroidery Companion. The pattern in the book is made of 9 different squares, but I wanted something smaller, so I only did four squares. It was a bit trickier to modify it than I first thought it would be, because the squares in the original pattern are not all the same size. They vary by one or two stitches in both directions in each row and column. Fortunately I have enough experience stitching that I checked all that before I started, which saved me lots of heartache later!
I like how this is traditional and modern at the same time.
I am really enjoying Embroidery Companion, and am eager to do several projects, particularly the eyelet sampler.

7 comments:

Tricia said...

It looks really nice!

KarenV said...

That looks lovely, nice work!

Leila said...

Oh wow, that's just beautiful.

Glenda said...

That turned out pretty, Tracy. Good idea to stitch it on a smaller scale. I'd like to do something like that in redwork for my mom, who LOVES all things red :).

I have that book but haven't earmarked anything to make yet! I need another burst of fallish weather to inspire me . . . I don't generally feel like crafting when it's hot-hot-hot.

besomom said...

Thank you, everyone! Glenda, I wonder how this pattern would look in red? You could try it out!

Anonymous said...

I'm about to do the 9 square version and am wondering if you can see the black thread carried at the back. I know it will depend on the fabric, i have purchased the recommended in the book and I feel it will show. Wondering about backing prior to stitching.....

besomom said...

Anonymous, I had to end thread and start with new in some places to prevent seeing carry-over threads. In other places I would thread the needle under already-worked stitches on the back to prevent a diagonal carry-over, which would have shown through. I didn't use backing fabric. That is too complicated for me! There are a couple of places in mine where you can see carry-overs, but once it was all done and framed, it's not really noticeable. Good luck! I hope that helps!