Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Spice Cookies


There was a cookie exchange for teachers and staff at my daughter's school today. Parents were asked to send in two dozen homemade cookies, and this is what I made. I don't make these every year, but whenever I do, I think I should make them more often. They are similar to gingerbread or molasses cookies, but so much easier to make because there is no need to get out the stand mixer or the cookie cutters. (My kitchen is tiny, so I have to keep the stand mixer in the basement, and sometimes I don't feel like hauling it out.) If I remember correctly, this recipe was printed in a Wisteria catalog several years ago. I tried to find it online, but was unsuccessful, so here it is:


Easy Christmas Spice Cookies


3/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
2 c. flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg, beaten


Melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar and molasses. Mix together well.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the melted butter mixture and stir well. Add the beaten egg; stir well.


Spread the batter in a greased 9x13 pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.


While the cookies bake, make your icing:


1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
1 1/2 T cream or milk (water also works)


Stir all icing ingredients together, adjusting sugar or milk amounts slightly if necessary to make it smooth and not too runny.


Spread the icing on the cookies while they are still warm (about 5 minutes after they come out of the oven). Let cool completely and be sure icing is firm before slicing into bars. Store bars in an airtight container.


That's it! Nice and easy, and yummy.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Those look good.

But, how can you function with your mixer in the basement!?!?!??!? I would not last long with that set up.

Seriously.

Glenda said...

Mmmm, adding these to my dessert list for this Christmas =). The Pretzel Treats you posted last year were a huge hit, by the way. I made them last Christmas and this Thanksgiving and they were scarfed right up. But these . . . these I'll make for *my* taste buds!!

I have a fantastic cut-out cookie recipe, but I'm not a fan of making cut-out cookies, or, truth be told, any cookies that aren't mix, drop, and bake.

Tricia said...

These look tasty - I'll hav to try them.