Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

This is a photo of the salad I made last year for St. Patrick's Day. I will make it again today! St. Patrick's Day feels like the beginning of spring to me, with the fresh green color scheme and the shamrock motif.

Today we have sunshine and warm temperatures. It is the day I have been waiting for to go outside and start doing some spring yardwork. It will probably snow again before warm weather is here for good, but that makes a day like today seem like a mini vacation, or like a little unexpected gift.

Now I'm off to research blenders. My daughter wanted a smoothie for breakfast today. I must have been half asleep, because I started up the blender with a spoon still in the pitcher. Oy! The spoon was mangled and the blade isn't looking too good, either. Oddly enough, it didn't make that much more noise than usual, even with a spoon getting crushed, which proves to me that the blender I have really is unnecessarily loud. I was thinking I'd get a Vitamix, but I just looked at them on Amazon and am reeling from the outrageous price!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Look at hand held blenders. I got one of those and love it. It takes up less room in the cupboard and you can make the smoothie right in the glass. Great for creamy soups too - just blender them in the pot. They are also easier to wash.

Anonymous said...

If you haven't replaced your blender yet, I bought an Oster Pro Model BVCB07-Z for $60 at Target back in December, and I love it. It has 6 blades and a reverse option, is stainless steel, and has a glass carafe with a wonderfully-fitting lid. I bought it specifically for making smoothies and haven't been disappointed in how sturdy it is.

Glenda

besomom said...

I left this comment a few days ago, but even though it showed up in my email, it never appeared here. Weird.

Anyway, Lynn, I have a handheld blender, which I love for certain tasks, but for some tasks I prefer the counter-top blender.

Glenda, thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out! I like the fact that it has a glass pitcher. My old one did, too.