Thursday, March 24, 2011

Strawberry Pincushion

I gathered my courage to finish my latest alphabet cross stitch into......a strawberry pincushion!

I didn't realize just how large it would be. It's as big as my hand!
When I first started this pattern I was picturing it being much smaller, something I could put on a string and hang up somewhere, but it's so big, I think I will just give it some shelf space somewhere in the house.

The finishing of this project was fraught with stress and mess. I keep half my craft supplies on the second floor of my house, and the other half is in the basement, but my preferred work area is on the main floor of the house, so this project had me running up, down, and all around. I needed fusible interfacing, an iron, an ironing board, poly pellets, stuffing, floral wire, floral tape, wire cutters, pliers (to manipulate the wire), fabric, and glue. Some things were where I thought they should be, while others were not, so it took more effort than it should have to get everything gathered. (That is entirely my own fault and I am strategizing how to improve my storage system around here.)

Assembling all the supplies was only half the battle, as I also had several mishaps during the actual making-of-the-pincushion. The gathering thread I stitched around the top of the strawberry broke when I tried to gather, so I had to redo that. I misread the instructions and made the wire shapes for the leaves too small, and the strawberry looked really silly with that cap of too-small leaves, so I had to redo that. And then, once it was all done, I thought to myself "Strawberries don't have brown curly stems! Pumpkins do!" But alas, making the stem brown and curly was called for in the instructions, and I followed them blindly. I do think the end result is pretty cute, though, and it truly was fun to make, even if it was a little bit stressful.

Now I will go back to a sampler I am stitching on 32 count fabric, which I swear is going to be the project that ruins my eyes for good. I have to make a serious effort to focus on that tiny count! I've been slightly near-sighted all my life, and so far this has served me well for reading and needlework, but I just may need to get a pair of cheaters to get me through this next sampler!

Pattern Info for pincushion: Blackbird Designs Secret Garden (Loose Feathers Pattern #20)

No comments: