Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weekend Food

In honor of Father's Day today, I made bread pudding for breakfast. It's very much like French Toast Casserole, but easier to make and lighter to eat. I followed Angry Chicken's recipe, using Trader Joe's frozen mixed berries, and served it with powdered sugar sprinkled on individual servings. So yummy!

This year we are splitting a CSA share with my sister-in-law and her family. Every Saturday we head to the Farmer's Market to pick up the week's distribution.
So far it has been very heavy on the lettuce and bitter greens. I do like a good salad, but I am the only person in my house who will eat it, so it's been salad three times a day for the past few weeks. The lettuce has been so plentiful that even the half share we get is too much for me. I am happy to be splitting the plentiful share of leafy greens, but other things like the full quart of strawberries and the 8 spears of asparagus seem stingy when split between our two houses. So far it's a fun experiment, and I am eager to see how this progresses through the summer and fall. We will get five full months of produce, June through October.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Hey, do you want some garlic scapes? We have a fridge full!!

besomom said...

Lynn, we have more garlic scapes in our CSA share than I know what to do with! But thanks!

nwhiker said...

Mmmm... garlic scapes...

As for the bitter greens. Roast 'em. That's my suggestion for just about every veggie in existence, of course, so... umm... yeah. :)

Every year I think about getting a CSA share, and very year I don't because of the great gobs of lettuce. Linnea is the only one of the kids who will eat it, and it gives me tummy aches and totally gets David sicks. Sigh...

besomom said...

Is there someone else you could give the lettuce to? I am waiting to reserve judgement on this CSA thing until we've done a full cycle of it, but I may not sign up again if it's nothing but gobs of stuff that we are forcing ourselves to eat. We are supposed to get strawberries again this week--yum--but also turnips, and more lettuce. Sigh. The lettuce would be awesome if I weren't the only one eating it!!!

Tricia said...

One of the reasons I enjoyed being in a CSA is because it forced me to eat more and different veggies than before. Even turnips. And yes, sometimes i am the primary one eating them! (Lettuce - my boys now think it's a primary ingredient for tacos, and the oldest even requests it on his sandwiches. Shocked me!)

Garlic scapes keep for a remarkably long time, if you store them in a plastic bag in the fridge. Use them like scallions or garlic. There's a recipe for garlic scape 'pesto' floating around, but i haven't tried it yet.