Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry and Me

Harry Potter and I go way back. I read the first book before the second book was published in the US. When I read the first book, I didn't even realize there was going to be a sequel, let alone a whole series, and I never imagined what a sensation the whole enterprise was to become. I have loved watching the wizarding world take on a life of its own these past 14 years.

My daughter is a huge Harry fan. When she turned 11 in April, she received an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. That was quite a thrill!
At her violin recital in June, she played two pieces: a Bach minuet, and Hedwig's Theme.

We went to the movie last night. We had an opportunity to see a 7:00 p.m. screening, five hours before the midnight release, which was awesome, because I don't do midnight screenings.

I haven't always been pleased with the movie versions of the books, but I really have enjoyed watching the maturation of the actors portraying Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and I adore the who's who among the supporting cast. I am a Masterpiece Theatre geek, and I love love love Jane Austen film adaptations, so it's fun for me to connect the Harry Potter characters to their period pieces. Last night I immediately spied Captain Wentworth in Aberforth Dumbledore. Captain Wentworth. Sigh.

I am eager to get my daughter to watch A Room with a View with me. I shall coax her with the fact that the movie pairs up Bellatrix LeStrange and Minerva McGonagall. Who, I ask you, could resist that?

Oh, and at the movies last night, we got vouchers for the concession stand, so I ordered a medium popcorn and a medium soft drink for myself. I was dismayed at the size of my "medium" soft drink.



I drank maybe a quarter of it at the theater and brought the rest home. I measured the cup's capacity. It was a full 32 oz. That is one full quart of soda. I would hate to see the large.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I absolutely adored Luna Lovegood's crocheted-flower-embellished sweater in this final installment. She really stood out among all that darkness.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I love the Harry Potter/Jane Austen crossover - especially knowing that JK Rowling is such a huge Janeite. I don't think you all are Doctor Who fans, but there several of the HP actors in Doctor Who too.

We all loved the movie. I took about half a dozen sips of my so-called small drink and tossed the rest on the way out of the theater.

Lynn said...

We are forever grateful for your recommendation to read Harry Potter so many years ago!

Glenda said...

Totally unplanned, I read this post while I was watching "Biography: Helena Bonham Carter", which I'd dvr'd Thursday night. Connections to H.P. are everywhere!

We haven't seen the movie yet -- my kiddo's not keen on midnight showings (ironically, *I* would be up for it!) -- but we hope to see it next week. Can't wait!!

besomom said...

Kathy, We haven't gotten into Doctor Who, but I keep meaning to try it. Now I have even more incentive knowing the actors will be familiar.

Lynn, This makes me smile. Glad my recommendation was a hit!

Glenda, hope you get to see the movie soon!