Friday, September 30, 2011

The last day of September


Wow, September 30th sure got here in a hurry. I keep thinking it should still be summer, but here we are, four weeks into the school year already. This week has been busy for me, but today I am puttering around, putting out our autumn and Halloween decorations. I just hung a Halloween cross stitch on the wall, and the wall felt COLD! Summer really must be over.

The start of this school year has been a significant beginning in so many ways, being not just the start of school, but of a whole new era for our family. My son began high school (9th grade), and my daughter began middle school (6th grade). So many changes! I was expecting some drama, tension, and/or anxiety, but other than my daughter getting a little hyper when all her friends got their class schedules in the mail two days before she did, it's been a remarkably smooth transition for both of them. They both seem happy. Well, my daughter is happy. My son is not unhappy, and for him, being not unhappy about school is a good start!

They are both suddenly more self-sufficient. I am not needed for transportation, and since we are no longer enrolled in an elementary school, the demands on me as a school volunteer are much less demanding! It's been strange for me, but I haven't been as sad as I thought I would be. I am enjoying having a bit more freedom in my schedule, and I am taking advantage of it.

I did sign up to volunteer once a week in the school store at the high school. I cleared it with my son first, because the school store is right in the cafeteria, and not every high school boy wants his mom there at lunch time, but he said he didn't mind. Of course, he completely ignored me the first time I was there, and truthfully I am so busy the entire time that I couldn't spy on him if I wanted to! It's nice to still be volunteering for school, but in a whole new capacity than what I'm used to doing.

I also signed up for a Bollyfit class. I have always been a regular exerciser, but it's been over a decade since I had a group fitness class, so this was really stepping out of my comfort zone. We met for the first time this week. I haven't seen myself in a mirror during a workout in, um, maybe ever? YIKES! This body does not move like the instructor's body does! But that's okay, it still felt good and it was fun! A friend signed up with me, which makes it even better.

And finally, I have an unexpected opportunity to start doing some freelance proofreading. (If you are reading this, S, thanks again!) It's very low commitment, once a month, for a local publication that I've always enjoyed reading. I've never done anything like this, but writing/editing/proofreading/publishing are all things I've been interested in for a long, long time, so I am thrilled to have this opportunity!

So, so far, so good. Things feel new around here, but the newness feels good. And, of course, other things haven't changed, like the kids wanting home-baked goodies in their lunchboxes, and me needing to get dinner on the table at just the right time so we have time to eat it before evening activities begin, and the fact that the dishes don't do themselves, and that it always looks like a bomb went off after the kids get home, but nothing gets picked up unless a) I pick it up myself, or b) I nag someone else to do it. And, of course, laundry. Ugh, laundry.



No comments: