Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Last year as a fundraiser, we put together a community cookbook at my daughter's elementary school. It was our family's last year at that school after 9 years, so I was really excited to have a keepsake that would last longer than the children's outgrown sweatshirts and t-shirts.

Over the past year I've tried quite a few of the recipes, loving that they came from friends and neighbors, and many of the recipes have become staples in our home. These pancakes are from the cookbook, and while they aren't exactly a staple for us (we don't eat pancakes all that often, maybe once every couple of months), they have certainly become a favorite with my children. I like them because they are filling and not too sweet, especially if you forgo the syrup in favor of a little whipped cream. I made them tonight for dinner to accompany scrambled eggs, using pumpkin instead of milk, and they were a nice light orange color, perfect for an October evening.


Chocolate Chip Pancakes

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup almond meal (or ground oats, or more whole wheat flour--I use almond meal)
2-3 T sugar (I use 2)
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup milk, or pumpkin puree
2-3 T melted butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
whipped cream for serving

Mix the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir in the chocolate chips. Stir until combined. Using 1/4 cup of batter per pancake, cook over medium high heat on an oiled griddle. Yield 12 pancakes.

If you try them, I hope you like them!



3 comments:

Tricia said...

Pancakes are a regular school day breakfast at our house - my spouse makes 'em. The youngest likes chocolate chips in his, so they get added as the batter is on the griddle. I'm not much of a breakfast eater myself, but sometimes I'll have a few pecan chocolate chip pancakes - the pecans get put on the griddle first, to toast them a bit, then the batter is ladled on top, then a few choco chips sprinkled on. We've never tried pumpkin puree, though - I wonder how that would go over in our house?

Isabelle said...

Pancakes for breakfast are a very foreign idea for us! But interesting...

T's Daily Treasures said...

My youngest (who is 13 now) won't eat pancakes unless I put chocolate chips in them. :/ Says he likes waffles better but I don't have a waffle maker.

Thanks for your comment today. I've had many a twisted ankle but never a broken toe. The ankle has been wrapped and foot propped up most of the day. Sure did hinder my ability to enjoy our trip though. Hubby had to venture out on his own since I couldn't walk very far.

Have a great weekend. Tammy