Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Summer!

Not really! It just feels like it. Oh, my goodness, after the winter that felt like perpetual spring, the last days of winter and the first days of spring have felt like full-on summer. Things are blooming that probably shouldn't be yet!

I'm fine with the daffodils and the hyacinths and the forsythia blooming.
But this is my apple tree:
No no no! It shouldn't look like that for another month at least!

I don't know what to do with myself. The weather makes me feel like I should be ordering mulch and planting my garden, but my calendar says slow down, girl!

I am forcing myself to focus on indoor projects for a while yet. I am crocheting some washcloths:
The pattern is the South Beach Washcloth from Lion Brand yarns, available free on their website.

I am also working on four pieces of Blackwork for my living room walls. This is my fourth and final piece.
I am modifying the Blackwork pattern from Alicia Paulson's Embroidery Companion to make the four pieces, which I'll show off in a future post.

Dinner tonight was a simple affair. I don't think I've shared this recipe before, so here it is. It's great for busy nights when you need dinner in a hurry, or when you don't feel like cooking.
White Beans with Tomatoes, Basil, and Parmesan

1 T olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups cooked white beans (navy or great northern or white kidney beans--I always use great northern, two 15 oz cans, rinsed and drained)
1 large tomato, chopped--about 1.5 cups (I use more because I like it saucy. If I am using canned tomatoes, I use two 15 oz cans of diced)
1/4 cup fresh minced basil (when I don't have fresh, I use about one T of dried)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 T lemon juice

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the garlic and cook until lightly cooked and fragrant. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, and basil. Cover and cook 7 minutes, or until heated through and the tomato has released its juices. Remove from heat. Stir in the lemon juice and cheese.

You can serve this hot or cold, as is or over pasta. I always serve it over pasta for my hungry family.




1 comment:

Fleur Cotton said...

You look as though you are working in a similar spring green yarn that I am. I just love that colour especially at this time of year.

Fleur xx