Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Knitting report

I mentioned a few posts ago that I was determined to get better at knitting.  I want to knit a baby sweater for my great-niece-to-be, and I decided to practice by making a few washcloths.

The first washcloth (pictured above on left) was easy peasy.  I finished it in just a few days and surprised myself with my (relative) speed and accuracy.

I cast on my second washcloth with confidence--confidence which turned out to be sadly premature.  I struggled and struggled with the second washcloth.  I had the pattern down just fine, but somehow I kept ending up with an extra stitch on my needle by the end of the row (and I eventually understood the extra stitch was actually hopping onto the needle at the beginning of the previous row...).  I had to do lots of unraveling.  The plus side of making the mistakes was that I was learning how to fix the mistakes.  I know how to "tink" now, and how to unravel and get my stitches back on the needle so they sit the right way (and when they aren't sitting the right way, I recognize it and know how to fix it).  I also think I figured out how that extra stitch kept magically appearing.

I feel ready to tackle the baby sweater, and I'm hoping to cast on soon. I think the knitting itself will actually be easier than the washcloths because it's mostly in stockinette, and you stitch to a certain length without having to keep track of rows.

Before the knitting, though,  there is first a small matter of a baby quilt for my little great-niece-to-be, which has now become two baby quilts, but that's a story for another post.  (And no, she's not a twin.  It's two quilts for one baby, because I am crazy like that!)

2 comments:

Neighborhood Watch said...

I love the basket-y look of the second washcloth. Good luck with the sweater!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I like the basketweave, too. I've done some in crochet, but the pattern doesn't seem to pop as much -- probably because of the cotton I am using, or the fact that I actually don't always know how to properly read or follow a pattern. :) Knitting and I did not get along at all. Have a great weekend. Tammy