Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pumpkin Muffins

Hope everyone in Hurricane Sandy's path weathered the storm safely.  We were lashed by the outer reaches of it yesterday and today, and it's much colder than it usually is for the end of October, but that's about all the  storm news to report from here.  There was snow on the rooftops this morning, but it was gone (either melted or blown away!) by noon.

Luckily I had nowhere to go today, so after days and days of having to be up and out early (including both Saturday and Sunday), I took advantage of the clear schedule and slept in a little this morning, and baked a batch of pumpkin muffins.  I searched through my blog kitchen archives and can't believe I have never shared this recipe here before.  It is such a staple in my household.  I can't remember where I originally came across this recipe--probably another blog--but I've been making it for years.  I've tweaked it a bit (reducing the sugar), and here is my iteration of it:

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
15 oz can pumpkin (or 2 cups cooked pumpkin)
2/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup canola oil
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Spray muffin tin with cooking spray or line with muffin liners.  In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together. In another large bowl, beat eggs and stir in sugar.  Add pumpkin, applesauce, and oil to the egg mixture and mix well.  Stir wet ingredients into dry and stir just until dry ingredients disappear into wet ingredients.  Stir in chocolate chips.  

Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.  Makes about 34 muffins.  (If you use the original measurements of 2 cups of sugar, you can easily get a full 3 dozen muffins.)

You can make mini muffins instead if you prefer.  Use mini chocolate chips instead of full-size chocolate chips and bake at 350 for 13 minutes.  The yield for mini muffins is 6 dozen.

These freeze well.  After I bake them we eat them fresh for a day or two, and then I put them in the freezer.  The kids take them to school in their lunch boxes for dessert.  We put them in the lunch box frozen in the morning, and they thaw by lunch time.  If anyone wants one at home, a muffin will thaw in the microwave in about 10 seconds.

Muffins are my preferred thing to bake because I am content having just one muffin a day.  With cookies, I will eat a cookie here and there throughout the day until I've had 6 (or more) cookies before I realize what I've done, but muffins are too decadent to eat repeatedly.  


7 comments:

Isabelle said...

I have to say that your knitting problems cheered me up. A partner in suffering!

Neighborhood Watch said...

I have been buying chocolate chip pumpkin muffins regularly at our local farmer's market, but they've been sold out recently. I am definitely going to copy your recipe and give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

besomom said...

Isabelle, let's hope our knitting gets better. I know you have your daughter to help, but YouTube is also very helpful.

Neighborhood Watch, hope you like the muffins if you give the recipe a try. I tried a pumpkin choc chip muffin sample at a health food grocery store recently, and it didn't hold a candle to mine!

Tricia said...

Just this weekend I got a hankering for pumpkin chocolate chip muffins - I guess because I'd read your blog entry last week and forgotten about it. I turned to the epicurious app for a recipe and was not quite inspired by any of them; perhaps I'll just use your recipe. I'm trying to figure out sugar, though. My banana chocolate chip muffins has 3/4 cup sugar to 2 cups flour and 1 cup banana. I figure the sweetness of the banana reduces the need for sugar, but I'm not sure how the sweetness of pumpkin compares to banana... I suppose I just need to start with something and see how they turn out!

besomom said...

Tricia, the pumpkin isn't sweet, but the chocolate is! If you come up with a new recipe, blog about it and I'll give your recipe a try!

Tricia said...

I went ahead and used my banana cc recipe, subbing pumpkin for banana, increasing sugar to 1/2 cup, adding cinnamon & cloves & nutmeg. Despite an initial rejection by T ("I hate pumpkin!") they were a big hit.

I just noticed that I said 3/4 cup above - but the written recipe I referred to has 1/3 cup sugar for 2 cups flour, that's how 1/2 is an increase...

Here's my bcc muffin recipe: http://jonskifarms.wordpress.com/2008/11/01/if-you-make-the-same-mistake-twice/

It has a comment from Michele, gave me a poke in the heart to see that...

Tammy said...

Hey there. When I crochet the rocks, I use thin cotton yarn (not crochet thread) and my hook is E/4-3.50MM. I just make the pattern up as I go along. Really very easy. :) Best wishes, Tammy