Sunday, April 15, 2012

Four Pieces, completed

Back in January, I started work on four blackwork pieces to hang in my living room. I finally completed the fourth one today. I've already taken them to the framers, so now I wait for them to do their job, and when I get the framed pieces back, the final step will be to convince my husband that it's okay to put four more nails into a plaster wall. After that, this project will truly be finished!



The pictures are horrible, but I was in a rush and didn't upload them and inspect them before I took the pieces to the frame shop, so they will have to do.

The pattern is a modification of the Blackwork Sampler in Alicia Paulson's Embroidery Companion. I modified this pattern once before, blogged here. This time I wanted four separate pieces, and I enlarged them to finish at 4 inches square rather than the 3 inches square as originally charted. Enlarging them resulted in much more stitching than I anticipated! I was expecting the stitching on this to take a month at most, but it took me three times that.

I also counted incorrectly on one square. The design pictured second from the top is supposed to be more spacious (you can see how it should look here). I honestly don't know where I went wrong, and I couldn't recreate this accidental modification if I tried! Fortunately, I don't mind the more compressed design. At least it is still symmetrical!

In other news, our front yard apple tree is a symphony in pink and white today. The buds are pink, but the flowers are white when they open.

A swarm of butterflies has been busy pollinating this tree and the apple tree in our backyard all afternoon. They swoop over our house, going back and forth between the two trees. Such a treat to see.