Friday, February 22, 2013

Shortbread Cookies



Since Tricia posted in the comments to my previous post "drat, no link to the cookie recipe" I thought I'd indulge.  I can't link to the recipe because it was a recipe I scribbled down some time ago without making note of the source.  Sorry!  If anyone recognizes this as their own recipe, please do say so!

1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Combine the three ingredients until a dough forms.  (In my experience, this is best done in a stand mixer with the flat paddle, but you can try to do it by hand if you don't have a stand mixer.)

Press the dough into a mini muffin pan, filling each hole about halfway.  No need to grease the pan first.  If you like, you can shape the dough like a little cup and fill the indent with chocolate chips, Nutella, jam, or whatever other goodies you can think of.

Bake at 325 Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven, let sit for a  minute, then pop each cookie out using a fork or knife and cool on a wire rack.  They come out very easily, even if you don't grease the muffin pans.

Now, how did I get my cookies to be heart shaped?  I used this sweetheart pan from Chicago Metallic instead of a mini muffin pan, but sadly it seems no longer available for purchase. I've had my pan for a few years now.  Since the heart shapes are a bit larger than a mini muffin pan, I spread the dough in flat and then pressed some mini chocolate chips into each cookie before baking.  If you wanted to use this recipe to get heart-shaped cookies and can't find a pan like mine, I don't know what to suggest.  The dough does puff and rise as it bakes, so I don't know if cookie cutters would work, and I don't think this dough would roll out easily anyway.  There are lots of shortbread recipes out there that do call for rolling dough and using cookie cutters if you want to go that route.

1 comment: