Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Cat Toy



Back in the early 1990s I went through a phase where I made little toys from the patterns in the scrap-savers books by Sandra Lounsbury Foose.  I checked the books out of the library, so I have no idea which of her books this little mouse was in.  If you like stuff like this mouse, go find one of her books.  It shouldn't matter which one, since they are all chock full of  patterns for little toys just like this, plus other cute things.

I made this mouse as a toy for my cat many, many years ago. I'm amazed it's still lurking around my house, seeing how it began life at an apartment in Minnesota, survived a 500 mile move to Michigan to another apartment, then made the move to our house where we've now lived for 19 years.  It seems like this mouse should be just a memory, yet here it still is.

That calico fabric still makes me happy to see!

Sandra's books are mostly from the 1980s, and I think the intention was to provide patterns for people to make things to sell at bazaars.  When I was in elementary school in the 1970s, we always had a bazaar at Christmas time.  The moms would make little things for the children to purchase as gifts for family members, and the money went to the school.  I loved those bazaars, and have very distinct memories of the things I bought at them, but by the time I had children of my own, school bazaars were a thing of the past (at least around here).  Such a shame.  I would have loved to make things to sell at an elementary school bazaar!


1 comment:

Isabelle said...

I bet it was in one of those drawers full of things that don't really live anywhere particular?