Tuesday, July 30, 2013

All About Me



The creator of the blog Notes from the Buffer Zone has given me the Liebster Award.  Thank you!  I get to share 10 random things about myself and pass the award on to another lesser-known blog. So, before we get to me, please let me direct your attention to the mother-daughter duo at the blog Write Click.  They have a homey-yet-adventurous tone to their blog, and their photos are lovely.  Go take a peek and enjoy.

And now ten things you may not know about me:

1. Whenever I see the quotation "What would you do if you knew you would not fail?" my reply without hesitation is write a children's picture book.  A good one.  The best picture books are masterpieces of art and literature.  I love picture books and I love reading to small children, and I would love to be part of a child's introduction to the magic of books.

2. I wrote several poems that were published in a highly-regarded national children's magazine.  Someone drew illustrations to go along with my poems.  Even though this happened years ago, it is still quite thrilling to me.  

3. I have a master's degree in library science, but I graduated the semester before my school taught their first internet-related course.  I had on-the-job training for web searching.  A bunch of us librarians attended a workshop, and as we learned how to navigate Netscape, one of the older women in my group said "Well, this is certainly interesting, but I don't think the internet is for me.  I have better things to do with my time than sitting around pointing and clicking." She comes to mind as I sit around, pointing and clicking my days away.  I wonder if she is still working as a librarian? I myself am not.  I took time off when my kids were little and the profession changed when I wasn't looking.  I am not sure I fit into it any more.

4. I am envious of Beverly Cleary because she got to be a librarian in the days of old-fashioned bound indexes and card catalogs.

5. My dream career is that of Ursula Nordstrom's.

6. I am currently a freelance proofreader.  (Don't judge me by typos and errors in my blog!  I do proofread it, but I miss things from time to time, and it drives me crazy when I find the errors later!)

7. When I was a child my parents and grandparents gardened extensively and shopped at the farmer's market.  We ate fresh local food all summer long and preserved produce for eating all winter long.  One grandmother baked exclusively from scratch, and the other grandma darned our socks and knit slippers for us.  When my parents decided to put an addition on our house, my dad poured the cement, built the frame, and did all the masonry, including building a gorgeous fireplace and an entire wall made of stone.  Sometimes I am puzzled that current locavore and DIY lifestyles get sensationalized as if they are brand new phenomena.  

8. There are very few meals that make both of my children happy, but no one complains when I make a casserole that includes a can of cream of mushroom soup in the recipe.  I can serve my kids fresh vegetables and in-season fruit and try not to use processed foods, but some days I just want everyone to sit down and eat without complaining, and that's when I get out the can opener.

9.  You know those jokes about kids being picked last in gym class?  That was me.  I was picked last.  Every single time.  I was a terrible athlete!

10.  I was born with a heart condition called Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.  Even though I was periodically symptomatic during my childhood, it went undiagnosed until I was in my early 20s because any time I complained to an adult about my rapid heart beat, they would say "Your heart is beating fast?  That's normal when you exercise!"  The day I got the letter from the doctor telling me there was something wrong with my heart, I had two thoughts:  1) I am going to die, and 2) I need to call everyone from my high school gym class who made fun of me for needing to sit down in the middle of vigorous exercise. The delay in my diagnosis was probably a good thing, because in my childhood, treatments and cures involved medications with side effects and/or invasive (possibly open-heart) procedures, but right around the time I was diagnosed doctors were perfecting a much less invasive technique.  I was successfully treated in an outpatient procedure when I was 26 years old. 


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was fun to read, Tracy =).

I hope you do write a children's picture book. If a child reads it (or has it read to them) and wants to read it again (and again!), it's a success, yes?!!

That's so neat that you've had poems published.

I wonder if being a librarian is as enjoyable today as it was pre-internet / pre-social media days? I was a legal asst. in my early 20's, and right around the time I left that field (age 26-ish) some of the more progressive attorneys in the firm had begun doing their own typing (all the firm's computers were networked, so a document could be revised by anyone who had permission to access it). One of the attorneys for whom I worked did A LOT of his own drafting and revisions, and I remember feeling a very distinct shift in my value. Not to mention feeling bored because I had so much less work to do!

I think being a proofreader would be interesting. I do that unofficially as part of my job and, while I, too, make my share of typos and grammatical/punctuation errors, no matter who makes them, they bug me when I see them ;-). Interestingly, my teen son is the same way.

I'm glad your heart condition was able to be treated with an outpatient procedure. I discovered in my early 40's, when my son was diagnosed with cough-variant asthma, that I suffer from exercise-induced asthma, and apparently had since my teens, if not earlier than that. I remember doing aerobics in the early '80s and wheezing, but it only happened when I did intense cardio and I never *felt* short of breath, so never pursued medical treatment. But it certainly explains why so many of the PE classes during my school years were not fun for me.

I hope you're doing well, lady! After a very long break, I'm beginning to have an itch to do some embroidery. I started looking around online last night for a pattern to catch my eye, but, thus far, no luck. But I'll keep looking =).

Glenda / Wren&Stitchy

besomom said...

Hi Glenda! Great to "see" you again!

I was always a reference librarian. In my early days working, we were always so busy, but as more and people got AOL/internet at home, our phone started ringing less. We didn't get as many fun quick-reference type questions (eg: who was the actor in such-and-such movie), and then longer research-type questions dwindled, too. We spent more time doing less-fun things, such as unjamming the copier, or dealing with difficult people. So, for reference librarians who were "old school", it is a different ball game now. I would imagine some jobs haven't changed too much--librarians in special collections, or corporate librarians, or academic librarians. I think the profession attracts a different type of person now who find the new ways fun. For me, it's not as fun.

Good luck finding some embroidery patterns. I think needle arts are something people will always return to, no matter how long the break. I look forward to seeing what you do.

Anonymous said...

Tracy, I came across this today and thought of your "All About Me" post. Enjoy =).

http://mrlibrarydude.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/image-public-perception-and-lego-librarians/

Glenda

besomom said...

Glenda, those are fabulous! Thank you for sharing. I know all of those characters in real life!!!

Neighborhood Watch said...

I have spent many long hours of refuge in libraries and often thought of what it would be like to work in one. Although, I too am thinking of the old card catalogue libraries.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I have always wanted to be a proofreader. Lucky you! Seriously! I hate making mistakes and always find them when I read something. In fact, most books printed these days have at least one mistake in them -- I find them and I can't believe anyone missed the mistake before it went to print. Nice to learn more about you. :) Tammy