Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Forced to be trendy


Every year I buy a new pair of running shoes.  I know it's time to buy a new pair when my knee starts to hurt. This happens pretty much at the same time every year, exactly one year after I last replaced my shoes, in October.  Amazing how that happens.

I buy the same shoe every year, but every year they upgrade the model (and raise the price--grrr).  This year they did not offer a white shoe option!  I first noticed the color-shoe trend during the 2012 Summer Olympics, and now I am being forced to follow the trend. When I first put these on I felt self-conscious, but now I kind of like them.  Watch out!  Next thing you know I'll be abandoning my low-rise running socks for knee-high running socks.

(In case it is not obvious yet, I am going to attempt to put up a blog post every day in November.  If I keep it up, expect all kinds of random oddities from me, just like this one.)

3 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I used to only buy white tennie shoes, but now when I try to wear them, I feel like an oddball. I bought black Nikes this summer with turquoise shoestrings. My kids decided of all the choices, those were the best. You are supposed to replace your shoes every 500 miles. I usually have to change mine every 6 months, and when I don't, my feet feel it. :/ Best wishes, Tammy

besomom said...

Yes, I go by that 500-mile rule, too. I put about 500 miles on my running shoes in one year. I am not a big runner, and I only run indoors on my treadmill (alternating minutes of running with minutes of fast walking). I walk a lot outside, too, to get places, and for long walks with my husband, but I don't wear my running shoes for that. It's amazing how new shoes make all the difference for foot and knee pain.

Tricia said...

I meant to comment on this awhile ago but kept forgetting to come back; then was reminded when I bought a new pair of running shoes on Friday.

When I was a runner growing up (mid 70s through early 80s), we never had white running shoes. Only tennis shoes were white. I mostly remember blue running shoes. Or maybe there were brand differences and my brand was blue? Or perhaps our choices were limited, being in a small town.

I bought the same make & model shoes as in the spring, and they are even the same color. First time that's happened in 5 years! Perhaps I beat the model year change-over? :^) Of course, I had begun to think they were kind of a silvery gray (with orange stripes and pink accents), but with a new pair I see that they are in fact white. I just can't bring myself to buy the outlandish neon ones, though!