Tuesday, January 7, 2014

First finish of 2014




I have my first finish of 2014!  A cowl I crocheted for my daughter, started January 1 and finished January 5.  The pattern is from Purl Bee and works up very easily and quickly. It is so satisfying to get a project started and finished in less than a week.  My modification was to chain 131 instead of 141.

The yarn is from Knit Picks, in the color Rainforest Heather. 

The weather has been wintry here, to say the least.  I'm sure everyone has heard of the Polar Vortex by now.  Even before Christmas we had lots of snow.  This is what our drive to my parents' house looked like on Christmas Day:

In addition to the 12 inches of snow we got on Sunday, the temperatures have now plummeted to well below 0 Fahrenheit.  My kids were supposed to go back to school on Jan. 6th, but they had a snow day on Monday, and a cold day today, and now the district has called another cold day tomorrow.

Last night was the coldest.  It was -15 F in the early evening.  I abide by the notion that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.  Since we live in a northern climate, we have wool socks and wool long underwear;  wool sweaters, hats, and scarves; and waterproof, insulated boots and mittens.  Last night my husband put on all his gear and walked around the block, shoveling out the ends of driveways where he knows single or widowed women or elderly people live.  He likes the exercise and the challenge of facing extreme temperatures, plus he's an all around good guy.





1 comment:

M. Meyers said...

What a wonderful man you married!