Tuesday, June 10, 2014

June is busting out all over


I may have titled another June post with this same title a few years ago, but I'm too lazy to go check (clicking the mouse is just too much work for me these days).  If I did, my apologies for repeating myself, but it captures my sentiments so well.  I am so happy it's JUNE!  I LOVE JUNE!  

Flowers are bursting everywhere, we have strawberries in our hanging basket, my garden is sprouting, and I see green everywhere I look, punctuated with gorgeous colors.  I revel in it.  I think I have post-winter stress disorder, because I still can't believe I can run outside in my bare feet and feel sun on my skin and smell grass warming in the heat.  Ahhh.

School is winding down.  When the kids were in elementary school, the end of the school year was a busy crazy time, but now they just have exams and then it's done. My daughter graduated from middle school last week and is on a trip with her entire class this week.  My son is taking his exams and battling a flu at the same time.  His nose is all sore and red, and he can't stop coughing.  Not the best conditions to take your finals in, but next week he can rest.  He is finishing his junior year, which means he is almost a senior, and like every parent everywhere I cannot believe how quickly the time goes.

My house is a complete disaster and we are expecting waves of company beginning very soon, but I can't seem to get myself to clean up anything or sort through the never-ending piles of things that must be sorted. We are supposed to have our sad little bathroom spruced up, but the contractor we hired (who has done several other jobs for us in the past) seems uninterested.  Then I got an idea that we needed to have some built-in shelves and cabinets in our family room, which made the contractor more interested in working for us because the job was bigger, and we were moving along nicely planning things, until my husband threw us all into disarray when he said he wants our fireplace completely torn out.  The fireplace was going to anchor the built-ins; removing it would make built-ins no longer built-ins and turn them into something that will look like a big huge piece of over-sized furniture crouched in the corner, so now we are at a standstill and I wonder if we'd be better off leaving everything completely alone.  I think I need to stay off Houzz and stop having "inspirations."  The bathroom really does need work, though, and it's beyond our DIY ability/interest.

Anyway!

I am knitting another little sweater for niece-on-the-way.  This one is 12 month size, and seeing as she's not even born yet, there is no big rush.  I seem to have crafting ADD.  I keep being distracted by shiny new patterns (cross stitch, knitting, crochet) and am very good at starting projects, but not so good at completing anything!  I really feel the pull of too many distractions and I end up getting nothing done.

Oh, well, have another peony picture!














3 comments:

Glenda said...

I'm so glad y'all are having green & growing things and warm weather!! Your winter was so brutal.

Ugh, house stuff that can't be DIY'd stresses me out so much. We have a couple projects which will need to be hired out and we've been dawdling having them done. One (electrical updating) will be so invasive, and just trying to come up with some way to keep me, my teen, and our dogs away from home all day so the power can be shut off while the electricians are working outside and inside is daunting to consider. I've yet to come up with a doable solution for that!

Good luck on the fireplace / built-ins situation . . . and the bathroom work. I don't envy you the "during" processes, but the end results should be fantastic and welcome changes, I imagine. Pictures or it didn't happen!! ;-)

Isabelle said...

I love your (your?) paeonies. Hope you get your house problems sorted out.

Tricia said...

I keep telling myself "this will be the year I go see the peonies blooming" - but it still hasn't happened. Next year, for real! :^0